Details released for Wal-Mart larceny case

  • Getty Images

More details have become available in the recent Wal-Mart larceny case and the arrest of North Carolina resident Reid Thomas Milligan.

About 6 p.m. January 3, the Weatherford Police Department was dispatched to a larceny in-progress at Wal-Mart. Store security reported a man was stealing jewelry, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

Upon arrival, Officer Jose Diaz said he noticed Sgt. Kendrick Johnson and Officer Ryan Hetherington running through the parking lot just as a gray vehicle was leaving the parking lot. Sgt. Johnson then ran the tag of the same vehicle. Officer Diaz was instructed to stop the gray vehicle, according to the affidavit.

Diaz pursued the vehicle down Eagle Road to the intersection of South Custer Street and South Access Road. During the pursuit, the subject was speeding and crossing lanes until the car finally came to a complete stop near 1040 Road, according to the affidavit.

Officer Diaz ordered the driver and passengers — Milligan and James and Paula Carpenter — to exit the vehicle. The three then were placed in handcuffs by officer Hetherington and Sgt. Johnson. Diaz and Johnson then cleared the vehicle, according to the affidavit.

After waiving his Miranda rights, Milligan said he had been accused of stealing, which scared him, so he left. Milligan allegedly denied stealing anything. However, Officer Hetherington allegedly found a necklace on the defendant which still had the box and price tag attached. The officers then conducted a probable cause search on the vehicle and allegedly discovered several jewelry items either in its original packaging or with the price tag still attached, according to the affidavit.

Officer Diaz ran Milligan’s identification through dispatch and was advised he did not have a valid driver’s license and his driving privileges were suspended in North Carolina. Diaz then informed Milligan he was under arrest, according to the affidavit.

While the other officers conducted the traffic stop, Officer Chaz Hickman spoke with Asset Protection Officer Patrick Whitehead. Whitehead said he saw Milligan allegedly break into the display case and conceal jewelry in his pants and coat pockets. Whitehead then confronted Milligan once he had passed all points of sale. Milligan then allegedly fled the store, according to the affidavit.

Milligan allegedly stole a total of $1,960.76 worth of merchandise from the store. Officer Hickman then gathered statements, the receipt and a video of the incident to place in evidence, according to the affidavit.

A criminal history check reveals Milligan had felony larceny charges in 2010 and 2019; larceny after break charges in 2013, 2014 and 2017; and driving without a license in 2020 according to the affidavit.

Milligan has an attorney date 1:30 p.m. January 25 and a preliminary hearing conference February 12, according to court records.

At this time, James and Paula Carpenter have not been charged in relation to this case.