Drivers should be aware of the new traffic configuration at the Interstate 40 and SH 6/Main Street interchange in Elk City with the opening of the state’s first Diverging Diamond Interchange:
• SH 6 traffic is now in its final DDI configuration. Drivers should use caution as they enter the reconfigured interchange for the first few times.
• Motorists need to pay additional attention to all traffic control devices, including the new traffic signals, pavement markings and signage as well as follow the speed limit.
• This area remains an active construction zone through winter 2020. Motorists are urged to use caution as traffic adjusts to the new configuration.
• Drivers on I-40 lanes and ramps as well as SH 6 lanes may experience intermittent closures as final work continues. The project is set to complete in winter 2020. Drivers should begin thinking about how to safely navigate the DDI. Here are several safety tips to consider before driving through the new interchange:
• As drivers approach the interchange, drive for the conditions by following the speed limit. Pay attention to traffic control devices and pavement markings.
• As drivers enter the interchange, follow the signs, signals and pavement markings to cross through the intersection at the first set of traffic lights. Traffic will appear as if on a one-way street as it crosses above I-40.
• Vehicles continuing straight on SH 6 after crossing I-40 simply proceed through a second set of traffic lights.
• All left turns onto the interstate are free flow, meaning vehicles do not have to stop to access the ramp.